Sunday, January 3, 2010

One life many stories

One New Years Donald Miller blogged about living a good story as an alternative to New Years Resolutions. I thought the idea was interesting and renewed thoughts in me concerning narrative theology. So I picked up a book of mine, Why Narrative?, and began to read.

What caught my attention was an essay on narrative and ethical theory. The gist of the paper was the importance of narrative as a category in ethics. The more I thought about this the more I wanted to engage with the reality of multiple narratives and the ethical self.

Although this surely is a postmodernist influence on me, that is thinking about the fragmented self, I believe it is important issue, especially for ethics. Personally my story is one that is both as a Christian,as a Canadian, as a member of my family, as a second generation-Canadian who is in Canada because of the actions of Communist Yugoslavia in the 1940s, as a reader of theologies, as a member of an intentional community... all this is me.

Now the question I want to explore is this: what does this mean, because of the many narratives which make up my life, in regard to my discussion on textual community?
I think a textual community needs to be aware of the other narratives that the community members hold to. I think the different ways of interpreting the sacred scripture needed to be informed by these others narrative. On top of that I believe interpretations can be then more intentional seeking to understand, critique and synthesize these other stories.

This is certainly not an end to these thoughts: what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment