Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Nein! Barth adding to Milbank

"Nein!" was Karl Barth's boisterous response to the question whether there can be any natural knowledge of God apart from revelation. Here I intend to very briefly show that Barth's "Nein!" can add to Milbank's Ontology of Peace contra an Ontology of violence.

Can an Ontology of Peace be a known, as an alternative to a ontology of violence, by natural reason apart from revelation?

"Nein!"

Well, that is my creative synthesis of two theological projects. To be honest I am not sure whether I agree with my syn-thesis. But I think it would interesting to explore. Especially since an ontology of peace is drawn primarily from scriptural texts that are considered by the Christian tradition as authoritative, and are not be natural reason alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment