Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Consumerism - Part I

It has been pointed out to me that despite the title of this blog I have yet to discuss consumerism. Here I hope to introduce what will be a series of posts on consumerism, especially as it related to theology.

Consumerism I use as a concept is developed out of a critique of what once called Materialism. Materialism was a kind of value-system where people 'desire' material goods more than out of need but out of desire. The problem with Materialism as a discourse is that, in my mind, it seems to ignore the economic system and social consequences of materialism and simply focuses on only one aspect of it.

Consumerism is more systematic. It is more than just an individual's one time sin - it is cyclical vice that fuels the political order of society. Where 'investment' was valued by the early Calvinist settlers of the US, purchasing has become eroded to immediate gratification based on bad debt (money that is not there). More than that the influence of Consumerism is part of the global social order. The world economy is based on the consumption of goods by the World's richest cultures, but it is not only consumption but conspicuous consumption.

I realize I have said a lot, and it may seem a bit confusing, but these article on Consumerism seems to illustrated my distaste of it.

But the real purpose of this blog is not criticize consumerism as such, but to provide a theological alternative to it. I find myself agreeing a lot with Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire by Cavanaugh.

I use the terminology of 'liberation theology' to evoke that specific theology which begins by acknowledging that the class position of a reader of the Scriptures and of the Church should effect our theology and praxis. My proposal is that whereas traditional Liberation Theology came from the perspective of the poor, and to liberate them from their oppression, that as North American's we should come from the perspective of the average consumer who needs to be liberated from false desire, indifference,brand identification, loneliness bred from the breakdown of community, greed and participation in the oppression of the Global Economy or politico-poetically called "Empire" and other things related to consumerism. Instead a theology concerned with Consumer Liberation will look to community, simplicity, solidarity, liturgy and Spirituality as things to be restored.

Now one thing I must make clear: I believe it is God who liberates. It is only in Christ can people truly become free. I think that our readings of Scripture has been shaken by the affleunce we have, and the consumerism we practice, I think it is still possible to participate in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment