Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dead Denominations

I was accidently reading a book today when I came upon an interesting fact. The largest denomination in the US, the Southern Baptist Convention, gets 80% of it's money from those who were born before 1946. Oy Vey! That means, if the life expectancy of the US is 78 by 2024 the SBC will become basically bankrupt. How will they pay for seminaries, churches, missions etc? No money!

Then again I can understand why this might happen. I am someone who sees giving as something good, virtuous and also neglected. Yet I do not view tithing (AKA giving money to the church) this way, as I feel God could probably do more with my money if I gave it to people to feed the hungry, clothe the needy than by paying my churches electricity bill or to buy and new and better computer system. Thus I will give, but to do good, to give where I feel God would want me to and therefore NOT church.

Now I have a confidence that God can do the impossible, but that doesn't mean that he will not does this mean he will save denominations. Perhaps denominations are at an end, or near end.

Ironically 2025 is when Peak Coal is supposed to hit. Maybe we will simultaneous reach Peak Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment