Friday, August 13, 2010

Friendships

A little briefing on my journey of political thinking.

Until relatively recently I have criticized institutions but have tried not to fall into anti-organizational fallacy I think many of my anti-institutional brethren fall into.

Yet recently as I have thought about the dangers of institutional culture I have realized that one can not merely 'network'. The danger of networking is to see in a person the potential for connection but not friendship. Is this even ethical?

So I suggest a new paradigm: do no institutionalize, nor network, but organize with friends! Build long lasting friendships, including with people who may only seem as connections. Illich believes that the function of prophecy has passed on to friendship. I'm beginning to see the greatness of that!

So to all of you out there who read this who may have ambitious plans of networking and organizing: friendship first! friendship last!

No comments:

Post a Comment